Pesticide Disaster – Kasargod
KASARGOD PESTICIDE POST-DISASTER REHABILITATION (2010- TILL DATE)
Name: Project Sanjeevini
It aims to provide Ayurvedic Health Care, manage disaster uncertainties and rehabilitate endosulfan victims in the eleven severely affected Gram Panchayats (GPs) of Kasargod district.
Target Patients and Areas
Eleven Gram Panchayats covering twelve villages (group and sub-villages) have been severely affected. These villages are Enmakaje, Belur, Kumbadaje, Badiadka, Muliyar, Karadukka, Periya, Pullur, Ajanur, Kallar, Panathady, Kayyur, Cheemeni.
Patients in all age-groups in all the 11 affected Gram Panchayats (GP) will be covered. The medical camps will initially target school children with learning & other disabilities. Later, it will target general public. On the basis of toxicology and clinical assessments, patients will be categorized as ‘Endosulfan-affected’ cases and ‘General’ cases. However, all patients attending the camp will be provided treatment, irrespective of the results of toxicology studies.
Work done till date
- Jan-Oct 2010 – Preliminary Medical Camps were conducted.
|Period of camp||Venue||Patients served|
|March 2010||Pedra, Bovikanam, Badiadka||180|
|April 2010||Town Govt. UP School, Kasaragod
Perdala Govt. High School, Badiyadukka
Periya Community Hall, Periya
Unique Academy Cheemeni, Cheemeni
|October 2010||Vani Nagar
- Jun 2011 – Awareness cum Medical Camps
- Jan 2011 – three medical camps were conducted.
- A village was adopted: Ambalathara, a village in Kanhangad district has been adopted with an aim to evolve a model village that champions the rehabilitation activities. In this village medical camps were conducted every month.
- Awareness-drive was conducted with an intention to educate the patients on the efficacy, procedure and the probative potentiality of Dathathreya Ayurveda. It involved the display of video testimonials of complicated cases cured by Dr.R.Raghavan, lectures and interactive sessions where patients asked their queries.
We entered into an MOU with Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS) for conducting Plastic and Reconstructive surgeries. These surgeries will ONLY be conducted on affected persons under our Ayurvedic treatment.The physicians from AIMS will visit our medical camps and assess the need for surgeries on our patients. The treatment will be done at AIMS hospital, Kochi. The cost of surgery will be borne by Dathathreya Health Institution. Contact persons at AIMS: Dr. Mohit Sharma, and Dr. Kinnar Ramesh Kapadia.